Friday 12 October 2012

Kuih Ketayap (Crepe with Coconut Filling)



I was so happy when I saw this kuih recipe the other day, I just can't wait to give it a try. This is one of the kuih that my mom used to buy for us for breakfast when we were young, I always call it the 'green kuih'. I never knew its name until I found this recipe in Gert's blog, actually I should say I only came to know those kuih's name when I found Gert's blog. When I was small, I gave 'nickname' to those kuih when I didn't know the exact name of the kuih. Apart from this kuih, I also called Kuih Keria (Sweet potato donut) as gu chia lian (Roda kereta lembu in hokkien), Ondeh-ondeh as O' nek nek, Apam Balik as abang adik, and many many more. Sometimes my friends just don't understand what I am trying to tell until I show them the picture.
This kuih consider easy to make compare to others as only few ingredients needed and easy steps. The recipe is adapted from Kuih Ketayap/ Crepes with Coconut Filling @My Kitchen Snippets

Ingredients for the filling

2 cups of dessicated coconut (or fresh coconut)
1 piece of palm sugar (~200g) – roughly chopped
1/2 cup of water
A pinch of salt

Steps:
1) Put the water in a small pot, bring to boil. Melt palm sugar in the boiling water.
2) Add in dessicated coconut and salt.
3) Stir the filling until the water dry out and well combine. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.




Ingredients for crepes

1 cup of flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup of coconut milk
1 cup of water
1 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of oil
1 drop of pandan essence

Steps:
1) Mix all the ingredients until well combined. Sift the batter to get rid of any lumps.
2) Heat up a 28cm pan, brush with some oil and wipe off the excess with kitchen towel. Pour 3/4 ladle of batter to the pan, tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.  (Note: the amount of mixture needed for each crepe depend on the size of the pan and the desire thickness.)
3) Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes or until the side/bottom is lightly brown. Flip it over and cook for another 20 seconds. Remove from pan and set aside.
4) Repeat step 2) and 3) until all the batter finished.



To Assemble
Put some filling on the crepe and roll it up like a spring roll. Ready to serve.



.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    This is my favorite too. I like the pandan crepe wrapping the palm sugar coconut filling. Just very delish!
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete