Tuesday 23 October 2012

Basic Sponge Cake


I consider myself as Ok for cooking but really Not Ok in baking, I rarely bake successfully in first attempt even just for the easy one. Part of the reason may be due to my ''agak-agak'' (roughly estimate) habit which I am so use to when doing cooking, I know I can't do it the same way in baking but I just find it hard to avoid sometimes. Another reason maybe due to my impatience attitude, lack of baking knowledge and didn't do much research before trying something new. Looking at one's recipe seem easy but trying to implement seems a bit tricky.

I found this basic sponge cake recipe from Sonia's blog. I was so excited as I finally found a cake recipe that doesn't require eggs separation. The original recipe is from foodhouse 8 in youtube, I watched the video in youtube and it seems easy to make it, however I still failed for the first attempt even with the guidance from video demo, how hopeless am I.... :(

At the beginning of my first attempt, I was so excited  when seeing the cake rose nicely in the oven, I thought I got it right for the first time. However, the middle of the cake shrink during the cooling process, and my heart also shrink at the time I saw it--> Again, I have Failed..

First attempt- Failed product


I decided to try it for second time. It was a success for my second attempt and I am happy I finally did it. The cake turn out so soft, fluffy, spongy and moist. I have got the texture I want. And I will definitely make it again.



Basic Sponge Cake
Recipe adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover and Foodhouse 8 (youtube)

Ingredients:

6 medium eggs
2 egg yolks
135g sugar
21g glucose
1g salt
32g cooking oil (or corn oil)
21g hot chocolate powder (or cocoa powder)
106g cake flour
1g baking Soda
21ml milk

Steps:
1) Heat up cooking oil in microwave for about 40 seconds, remove, add in hot chocolate powder and mix well, set aside.
2) In a mixing bowl, add in whole eggs, egg yolks, sugar and salt, beat on a high speed till foamy or pale yellow.
3) Add in glucose and continue to beat on medium speed until batter double in volume and reach ribbon-like stage.
4) Sift in cake flour and baking soda, beat on low speed till mix well.
5) With a spatula, take 1/3 of the batter and mix it with step 1), fold in the mixture with the remaining batter, mix well.
6) Add in milk and mix well.
7) Pour batter into in round baking pan (I use 21cm x 21cm square pan) and bake in a preheated oven for about 50 mins at 170 degC or until cooked.
8) Remove from oven and invert the pan immediately on a cooling rack. Leave it to cool completely before unmould.





No comments:

Post a Comment