I used to cook more curry dishes during winter, I need some comfort food to keep myself warm. We had a mild winter last year and I hope it would be the same this year. I hope and I hope...but it was already started to snow two weeks ago even though just for a day, and the weather is getting colder and colder these days, and it is only autumn now.... I am not particular like winter, besides shorter daylight, I tend to get sick during winter and I am coughing.
Ok, back to the topic today. I found this chicken curry recipe from Wendy's Table for 2.....or more. It is relatively easy to prepare, with easy available ingredient, I can get a yummy creamy chicken curry. I used to cook chicken curry by using paste. I always think cooking it from scratch need plenty of time to prepare, it actually not. Besides I always struggle to find those ingredients I need. Well, I am living in a small town with a small asian shop, not every ingredients are available here, sometimes need to wait for weeks or months for some ingredients to be back in stock. Wendy's recipe is quick and easy, please hop over to her blog for original recipe.
Creamy Chicken Curry
Recipe adapted from Table for 2...or more
6-8 chicken thighs
1 tsp salt
4 large shallots, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 lemon grass (4 inch from based, lightly smashed)
50g chicken curry powder
1 tsp of hot curry powder
200ml thick coconut milk
12 small new potatoes
10 tofu puffs
Salt for seasoning
1) Wash the chicken thighs, trim of excess fat and cut into smaller pieces, marinate with 1 tsp of salt, leave it for 30 minutes.
2) Heat up oil in a pot, put in chopped garlic and shallots, fry until fragrant.
3) Add in chicken curry powder and curry powder, fry until fragrant. Toss in lemon grass.
4) Put in chicken and fry for 4-5 minutes. Add water to the pot, just sufficient to cover the chicken. Bring to boil.
5) Put in potatoes and tofu puffs, cook for 5 minutes. Cover the pot with lid and continue to cook with low heat until potatoes are tender.
6) Add in coconut milk and season with salt.
7) Dish up and serve.